Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gobble, Gobble Mo Fo


As Thanksgiving approaches it makes me stop for a moment and think about all that I have to be thankful for. The year has been a dramatic one, but still, there is plenty for which I'm quite grateful. I have a pretty damn good life, despite the downs. Even when the downs feel like sewer sludge is flowing in my mouth, there is still much that is good. I have a home that I love (notice home not house), a terrific family and a few really close friends in my life. I'm still able to sit up and take nourishment and most of all, I've still got the ability to laugh, smile, be nice and say please and thank you. I try to treat all people like I myself want to be treated.

Which made me think of others I run across frequently in my daily dealings of life. There seems to be a vast array of people who tend to feel they have somehow earned the right to act and do anything they please. It's an "entitled " attitude that bogs my mind. These people are usually mean, nasty, don't say please or thank you and seem to feel everyone owes them something. It makes me wonder what are these people really thankful for, if anything at all. I can't help but wonder if deep down these people are really lonely and miserable, because with an "entitled" attitude you can't have a true relationship with people, or the world. People only listen because they've been bullied into it.

Everyone has run into these types of people whether in the grocery store, or in their personal lives. It's frustrating when dealing with a person in a public place that displays this selfish stance. Sure, they usually get their way, because everyone just want them to go away. I see them everyday I work at the store. Sad, but it's generally some woman displaying this attitude. Once again, they show me the woman I don't want to grow up to be like. I like people, friends and relationships to well.

I hope that on this Thanksgiving day everyone, even the entitled, try to think of one thing they are truly thankful for. Despite all the bad economics affecting this country and bad politics of past and present, this is still a great country to reside in. I can't think of any other place I'd rather lay my head down at night. Thanksgiving to me isn't about the Pilgrims, because history polluted the true meaning in that story. It is about stopping for a moment and reflecting on life and all that is really good about it. It's about being nice, saying please and most of all saying thank you for all that has been given to you that makes your life a little bit brighter.

Gobble, goggle mo fo's and a happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: